Several days ago the internationally famous Catholic theologian, Hans Kung wrote a paper in which he stated that the Catholic Church is undergoing its greatest crisis since the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century. At the end of this paper, Kung lists various things that bishops and ordinary Catholics can do to make a difference.
In the video (contained in the next jump), Hans Kung explains his work of moving together with other world religions towards the establishment of a common world ethic. He also explains the great contribution of Pope John XXIII and the Second Vatican Council towards a renewal of Catholicism. Catholicism with a greater sensitivity towards women, science and theological freedom, that served and evangelized this age. He goes on to explain how the Roman Curia (the powerful centralized bureaucracy of the Vatican, which serves the pope as a sort of cabinet) has opposed the reforms of the Second Vatican Council. He further explains the role of the late Pope John Paul II and now, Benedict XVI in reversing and undermining the reforms of Vatican II.
The Vatican's response (please view the video "Hans Kung" on the bottom of the jump) has been to cleverly focus on the tone or "charity" of Kung's statement. Frankly, if you read Kung's statement, you will find the tone both measured and polite. In doing this, they avoid addressing any of Kung's substantive charges and effectively attempt to side step all of the issues which Kung brings up for discussion. All of this as the Cover-Up/Pedophilia Scandal that has touched the pope himself, now spreads beyond the U.S.A. and Europe to engulf Latin America.
- Boycott the Knights of Columbus
- A wedding sermon.
- An open letter to my parish community.
- Why was a college student in the car of drunken Archbishop-elect Cordileone at 12:26 AM, when Cordileone was arrested for a DUI?
- When the Church married Same-Sex couples.
- The Supreme Court’s Decisions and the New Mason-Dixon Line
- How It All began
- What the Vatican & American bishops DO NOT want you (and Politicians) to know.
- The Morality of Sex, gay & straight.
- San Francisco in archbishop Cordileone’s sight