- Boycott the Knights of Columbus
- A wedding sermon.
- An open letter to my parish community.
- Why was a college student in the car of drunken Archbishop-elect Cordileone at 12:26 AM, when Cordileone was arrested for a DUI?
- When the Church married Same-Sex couples.
- The Supreme Court’s Decisions and the New Mason-Dixon Line
- How It All began
- What the Vatican & American bishops DO NOT want you (and Politicians) to know.
- The Morality of Sex, gay & straight.
- San Francisco in archbishop Cordileone’s sight
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Freedom is not free.
What do Hate Crime Laws and laws permitting Same Sex Marriage have in common?
YOU, or someone you know and love.
"I don't want to get married, but I don't want the State telling me I can't get married." A young man at a “No on Prop 8” rally said the foregoing. At that time proponents of discrimination against same sex marriage claimed "they" [LGBT people] have Domestic Partnerships. Today in Washington State, these same forces for discrimination are working actively to strip LGBT people of Domestic Partnership laws and protections.
Make no mistake the battles we are fighting throughout our country and the world are battles for the simple right to exist and to have a place at the table of society. We are fighting to live free from discrimination, verbal and physical violence, to be able to establish a home with someone that we love and to live with simple dignity. To live free from having to lie about our spouse, our family, and ourselves because we fear loss of our jobs due to legally enshrined bigotry. To live free from having to suffer in silence when someone publicly makes derisive comments about LGBT people due to socially sanctioned bigotry.
Yes, we are fighting for the right of civil marriage, but it is far more than that. We are fighting so that the next generation does not have to grow up in shame and live in fear. In California, we begin a new battle today to reclaim, not just the right to Civil Marriage, but also the rights of Human Dignity and Freedom, which we believe the Founders of our nation intended for ALL citizens.