Tonight, Wednesday March 4th, there will be vigils held throughout California and in other states in our nation. The State Supreme Court will begin hearing a case to consider overturning Prop 8. I have included a letter from Mike Roth, a member of LOVE HONOR CHERISH in this post. Love Honor Cherish is working very hard to help guarantee marriage equality for all of us. Please join us at the vigil here in Los Angeles tonight and bring some friends. We will overcome this injustice!
Tomorrow morning the California Supreme Court will hear oral arguments on the validity of Prop 8. Tonight, I will one of thousands demonstrating statewide to send a unified message to our fellow Californians, including the Supreme Court Justices, that individual liberties like the right to marry are guaranteed by the Constitution to everyone and cannot be stripped away at the ballot box by a bare majority.
In Los Angeles, the demonstration is downtown on Olvera Street. I'm going to be there rain or shine. I hope you can join me.
The event is called "Eve of Justice: Lighting the Way for the Supreme Court" and I've been very involved in its planning for the last several weeks. It started as a simple ceremony downtown and has now expanded to over thirty cities across the state.
We have a very moving program planned:
- Legal update from one of the attorneys who will be appearing before the Supreme Court tomorrow morning (she's hopping on a plane as soon as she's done speaking)
- Recommitment ceremony for already married couples (whose fate will also be determined in this Supreme Court case) performed by Mayor Villaraigosa
- Candlelight vigil
- Musical entertainment
- March down Main Street to the court building downtown where the Supreme Court convenes when they are in L.A. (The Prop 8 case is in San Francisco.)
The media will be there and it is crucial to have a strong showing. My goal has always been to get 1,000 people to show up downtown. The rain will make things difficult, but I still think we can reach the goal. The program starts at 5:30 pm, but don't worry if you can't get there at the beginning. Just get there. Please.
-- Mike Roth
- Boycott the Knights of Columbus
- A wedding sermon.
- An open letter to my parish community.
- Why was a college student in the car of drunken Archbishop-elect Cordileone at 12:26 AM, when Cordileone was arrested for a DUI?
- When the Church married Same-Sex couples.
- The Supreme Court’s Decisions and the New Mason-Dixon Line
- How It All began
- What the Vatican & American bishops DO NOT want you (and Politicians) to know.
- The Morality of Sex, gay & straight.
- San Francisco in archbishop Cordileone’s sight